Monday, March 10, 2008

Easter Birthdays

First off: it was great to see Dan and Rebecca this weekend, who brought Greg and Katelyn up as well, surprising all of us. Kudos to D & R for blindsiding us with very happy news, too.

Jake turns 1 in less than two weeks, and this year his birthday, March 23, is on Easter, for the only time in his life, unless he lives to be 153. In case you didn't know, here's how the date for Easter is determined: it's on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the ecclesiastical vernal equinox (basically, the beginning of spring), which is fixed at March 21 (sometimes the real beginning of spring is on March 20). Therefore, the earliest possible date for Easter is March 22, but that's a rare occurrence, last happening in 1818 and next in 2285. The date for Easter actually has a 5.7 million year cycle. All of this is on the Internet, of course. The early Easter this year made for a goofy schedule at Ferris, as the students return from spring break, have class for 3 days, and then get Easter break.

Annika was nearly an Easter baby, about three hours shy. When we mentioned that Jake's birthday is on Easter this year, she asked about hers. Last night I found out that she'll have to wait for her 46th birthday, in 2047. But then it will come around again in 2058 and 2069, so she could very well have three Easter birthdays. Yay, yay, fun, fun.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Okay, where's the website where you put in your birthday and see when Easter will occur on your birthday? I looked and couldn't find a site like that. I had an Easter birthday on my 16th birthday, and it was so much fun. I'd like to know when my next one will be!

Mike said...

This is the one I found:

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/freq3.html

From what I can figure, you would have turned 16 in 1996, on April 7, and the next time you'll get an Easter birthday is when you turn 95, in 2075! At least you celebrate your 100th on Easter, too.

Rebecca said...

That's too bad! It looks like my 5th birthday was on Easter, too. I was actually born the day after Easter in 1980. My mom always said I would have been born on Easter (4/6), but her "stupid doctor" wouldn't induce her on a Sunday, she had to wait until Monday.