Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chicago

Last weekend my Mom and I took the kids to visit my grandparents who live near Chicago, IL. It was a wonderful visit! We were blessed to have my cousin, Sarah, visiting at the same time. Although Sarah is technically my cousin, she is only two years older than Annika. As you can see from the pictures, the girls look like they could be sisters!

The highlight of our trip to visit Grandma and Grandpa was our trip to downtown Chicago. The girls had never been downtown before (that they could remember) so I knew this would be quite the experience for them! We started our trip by taking the commuter train downtown. The girls LOVED it! Below is a picture of them waiting for the train.

Although they loved riding on the train they weren't so sure about all of the noises while waiting for the train. An Amtrak train came by while we were waiting and scared both girls pretty good. It's interesting because there is nothing separating people from the tracks so when the train comes flying by the wind is intense and the noise is deafening. As you can see, this wasn't Annika's favorite part of the trip!
Once we were downtown we took the trolley to WaterTower Place where we had lunch and then headed over to the American Girl Place. Neither of our girls owned an American Girl Doll (they have knock offs) but they both have Bitty Baby which is the baby version of the doll. My intent was to let Annika pick out an American Girl Doll as a special gift. We were going to get Abby an outfit for her Bitty Baby. It didn't turn out quite that way. Abby fell in love with Elizabeth and wanted her so badly my mom and I found ourselves unable to say no. Her puppy dog eyes were like none I had ever seen before. Annika took much longer to pick out her doll. She wanted one that looked like her but there were at least two that fit the bill! She finally decided on a Just Like You doll which has blond hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. She named her doll Felicity. The girls were able to pick out a special outfit from Great Grandma and one special item each for their dolls. Annika got a dog named Coconut and Abby got a dress for her doll. They also picked out some special outfits which they will get for Christmas. It was a very fun afternoon that I suspect the girls will remember for a very long time!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sigh. I still love my American girl doll, Kirsten. She was like a real person to me!

Nick said...

That sounds like an awesome trip! I can understand the girls' not liking the trains whizzing by - even as someone who loves trains, I still get intimidated when they speed by so quickly.