Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stories

Parenting Event 1:

Monday I was home with the girls and on the phone with someone from a potential mortgage company. Abby started wailing at one point, and I asked Annika to check on her. That went something like this:

"Abby, what's wrong?"

Pause, more crying.

Angrily: "Abby, what's WRONG?!!"

That didn't help. Eventually, I got her on my lap, still on the phone, and she started drawing letter A's on my paper. I continued talking, and then it happened: a disturbingly warm sensation in my lap. Now, if I'm on the phone with someone I know, I go into action immediately and try to do something, but I'm already embarrassed about dealing with a fussy kid while on the phone trying to have a serious financial conversation, so I don't, and - yes, indeed - Abby just pees all over both of us. I managed to finish the call a few minutes later, but had to endure the disgusting dampness for a few minutes. It was very, very gross.

Parenting Event 2, same day:

I'm in the basement while the girls are upstairs playing, and I come up to find them playing with water in the bathroom. That's mostly OK, but then I notice that Annika has my cellphone. I take it away from her with some words about how it's not a toy and water could ruin it, while she just looks guilty. That would have been the end of it, but she couldn't resist telling me "I was using it to take pictures." So, we check her photos - there's one of Abby washing her arms, and then one of the toilet in mid-flush. So, I ask "Did you flush the toilet just to take a picture of it?" Her answer: "No." Clicking to the next picture, taken immediately before the flush picture, and there it is: Annika's poop, with used toilet paper, in the bowl. That's number two for the day (get it?).

The same day, some cat yarfed in the basement, too.

On a non-bodily function note, Annika also used "air-quotes" while speaking that day too. I'd never seen that before.

Until the next one...

No comments: