Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Shack

This past week I enjoyed a very fun trip to Shipshewana, IN where we enjoyed a day of shopping at the flea market. For those of you who have never been, I highly recommend it. It's great fun and there is no end to the interesting and sometimes crazy things people try to sell there. During our two hour ride down we spent considerable time talking about good books we had recently read. Several members of our gr0up mentioned the book, The Shack by William Young. While none of them had actually read it they all said it came highly recommended and one person even had a copy at home that was in her "waiting to read next" pile. I had a gift certificate to Family Christian Bookstores so I stopped by there and picked it up. It was incredible. It is a work of fiction but I found myself wishing several times that it was real. I even had to go back and check several times to make sure it wasn't real. Although it is a work of fiction it is chock full of theology, but it's so well written that you don't feel like you are being hit over the head with it. You just end up being amazed at how profoundly well the author explains some of life's most difficult experiences and God's relationship to us within those experiences. I was moved beyond words by some of the images in this book and am anxious to share the thoughts and ideas presented in this book with others. I highly encourage anyone who sees this to read The Shack. For more information you can check out the book's website. I hope that reading this book will bless you the way it has blessed me.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Good to know - thanks for the recommendation, Lisa!