Friday, June 20, 2008

Surprise Prayer Request

Last night, after I helped Abby say a prayer that wasn't unintelligible, Annika's bedtime prayer went like this:

"Dear Lord, thank you that we can go to Frederick Meijer Gardens tomorrow, and thank you for everyone in the world, help all the people that are sick to get better, and the people that are injured to get better, and, ummmmm -- long pause as she thinks of something to say -- and help Tiger Woods to get better with his knee surgery. Amen."

I had the US Open on this past weekend (and multiple times I was stunned at what I just saw, mostly when Tiger made improbable shots and putts), and I even got Lisa to get mildly interested in the outcome on Sunday. Annika is well aware of who Tiger Woods is, and yesterday afternoon I had my most recent Sports Illustrated, with Tiger on the cover. I mentioned to Annika that he ended up winning on Monday, and she was happy for him. Then I mentioned that he was having knee surgery and couldn't play the rest of the year, and she got only slightly irrationally mad about that. Anyway, it obviously stuck with her. We'll see if her prayers are answered.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Lexington Dekkers love your stories! Keep them up!

Katelyn said...

I'm not sure which part of this story I like more: that Annika prayed for Tiger Woods, or that she got mildly irrationally mad that he is out for the season.

Mike said...

I must say that the prayer request was much more out of the ordinary for Annika; getting irrationally mad about things is one of her finer qualities. Once we went to a minor league baseball game with friends and left during the 7th inning, as which point our team was losing. I assured her that we could find out what happened from the paper the next day, but when it turned out that our team did in fact lose, she was all upset. Overall, a competitive spirit isn't all bad, and I kind of like it that she can get passionate about sports.

Nick said...

Annika sounds like a Buckeye fan in training... when your team losing makes you irrationally mad and spills over into your daily life, you know you should root for Ohio State.